- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecan halves
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk egg white until the whites have foamed into small white bubbles.
3) Add sugar, spices, and salt. Whisk the mixture until thick and opaque.
4) Add pecans and toss to coat.
5) Once thoroughly coated, spoon the pecans onto the parchment paper. Leave as much extra coating in the bowl as possible.
6) Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until pecans are fragrant and toasted golden brown.
Don’t mind if things get messy while you’re pulling this snack together. Just play it cool. Play it cool and make sure to get rid of excess egg white/spice mix which tries to hang on to your pecans. Otherwise you may end up with a sort of “pecan bark” like I did. Of course it wasn’t the end of the world. I just had to apply some extra elbow grease to break the pecans apart. It’s probably because I only used 1 1/2 cups of pecans instead of the 2 cups that JTB calls for. An extra half cup of pecans would have required a trip to the grocery store. Um…about that. No.
I want to talk about this candied pecan business though. It IS the business. As in, stuff-your-face-business. My preferred M.O. for eating these things consist of picking up one or two, eating while walking away, then finding some reason to walk past the bowl again and again. Yes. This stuff is like crack. You can’t quit it. The sweetness, the smokiness, the oh-so-slight spiciness…heaven. I guarantee that you will not regret the decision to make these!