- 3 large Russet Potatoes ; peeled, whole
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 White Onion ; diced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Parsley ; minced
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- BECHAMEL SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1-1/4 cups Milk ; heated
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese ; shredded
1) In a large pot of salted boiling water, add the three potatoes and let boil for 15 minutes, just to par boil stage. (Make sure that they are really cooked until ALMOST done.)
2) Remove potatoes from water and set on a cutting board to cool enough to handle. Slice into 1/4″ slices.
3) This dish requires a round glass baking dish, with a flat bottom. Spray well with cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the dish with potato slices. Stand potatoes around the side of the dish also. (You will need additional potato slices after the meatballs are put into the dish.)
4) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5) Mix together ground beef, onion, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Form into 15 evenly-sized meatballs.
6) Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy-bottom saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it brown — about 2 minutes. Add the warm milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
7) Set a meatballs on top of each potato slice in bottom of glass dish. Wedge a potato slice between each meatball, so that it forms a pretty pattern.
😎 Pour Bechamel sauce over each individual meatball, filling the pocket around it.
9) Add shredded cheese over each meatball, filling the pocket around it.
10) Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
11) Serve immediately.