As seen on Damn Delicious
- 1 pound ground beef*
- 1 medium/large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (10-ounce can) Ro*Tel® Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until the beef just starts to brown. Add the onion and cook for another 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks, until the beef is completely cooked.
- If there’s excess fat in the pot, turn off the heat and move the beef/onion mixture over to one side. Tilt the pot so all the fat is at the other end. Use crumpled up paper towels to soak up the excess fat. I like to keep the trash can right by the stove when I do this so I can easily throw the paper towels away. Make sure to leave a little bit of fat in the pan. Turn the heat back on and add the dried spices (chili powder through ground pepper). Stir to combine.
- Stir in the Ro*Tel®, tomato paste, spaghetti and water. Bring to a boil, then cover. Reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-16 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add both the cheeses. Put the cover back on so the cheeses can melt. To serve, place some of the pasta and meat on a plate and top with chopped tomato and cilantro.
*You can also use ground chicken, turkey or pork. If you do, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan before browning the meat.